Investing

Trump and Japan tech conglomerate SoftBank announce $100 billion in U.S. investments

1 Mins read

President-elect Donald Trump and the head of Japanese tech conglomerate SoftBank, Masayoshi Son, will announce a $100 billion investment effort designed to spur artificial intelligence and related infrastructure projects.

The effort, first reported by CNBC, will attempt to create 100,000 jobs over four years.

Trump and Son announced a similar initiative in 2016 after Trump was elected president for the first time, with the Japanese firm agreeing to invest $50 billion in the U.S. with the aim to create 50,000 jobs. It is not clear whether that effort fully paid off, as many of SoftBank’s numerous startup investments in the U.S. and beyond failed to pay off. A 2019 report from Forbes found hard data on the ultimate impact difficult to come by. Axios, however, reports it largely met the marks, at least for a time.

Today, SoftBank is a much smaller company than when Trump first took office nearly a decade ago — and according to Bloomberg News, only has $25 billion in cash on hand, raising questions about how Son and his firm will come up with the pledge money.

A SoftBank representative did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Son joins the slew of tech titans announcing investments following Trump’s electoral victory. Earlier this month, Amazon and Meta, the parent company of Facebook, each announced $1 million contributions to Trump’s inaugural fund, as have OpenAI CEO Sam Altman and the AI startup Perplexity.

This post appeared first on NBC NEWS

Related posts
Investing

Meta’s head of AI research announces departure

2 Mins read
Meta’s head of artificial intelligence research announced Tuesday that she will be leaving the company.  Joelle Pineau, the company’s vice president of AI…
Investing

Restaurant chain Hooters files for bankruptcy protection to enable founder-led buyout

1 Mins read
Restaurant chain Hooters of America filed for bankruptcy protection in Texas on Monday, seeking to address its $376 million debt by selling all of…
Investing

Elon Musk says backlash against his DOGE government cuts is hurting Tesla stock

2 Mins read
Tesla CEO Elon Musk said Sunday that his involvement in the Trump administration could be hurting the automaker’s stock price. Speaking at a…

    Fill Out & Get More Relevant News

    Stay ahead of the market and unlock exclusive trading insights & timely news. We value your privacy - your information is secure, and you can unsubscribe anytime. Gain an edge with hand-picked trading opportunities, stay informed with market-moving updates, and learn from expert tips & strategies.